Tuesday 2 April 2013

Hans Christian Andersen's birthday inspires my top kid's classic book list.

Yes! The man that brought you the fairy tales The Little Mermaid, The Princess and the Pea and The Ugly Duckling, amongst many others, was born on 2nd April 1805...despite their age, his books still hold as much fascination for kids the world over, as they've ever done.

Hans shares his birthday with National Children's Book Day...so there's no excuse to miss the bedtime story tonight...

scenicreflections

It got me thinking of children's books I've loved reading over the years...these being my current top ten...although this will probably be different tomorrow...well there's just so many to choose from!

No 1.... 
Anything by Dr Seuss....I just love the illustrations and silly rhymes.

No 2...
Mrs Pepperpot...a little lady who would shrink to the size of a...yes, you've guessed it...pepperpot at the most inopportune moments.

No 3...
Milly Molly Mandy...she's the one on the right.

 No 4...
Good old Harry....he had to be in my top ten...only just finished reading them recently though...

 No 5...
 I'm not thinking of The Chronicles here...just The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe...the best one!

 No 6...
I must admit that the film sticks in my head more than reading the book...which is why I try not to watch the films and use my own imagination instead...

 No 7...
I can think of nothing better than living the life the kids in Swallows and Amazons had...

 No 8...
Despite now being a responsible adult and knowing many things that take the magic out of life, I still believe that a chocolate factory like Willy Wonka's is possible one day...

 No 9...
I loved The Jungle Book...but for too long it reminded me of my Uncle Ken, long since departed, so get more joy from Rudyard Kipling's Just So stories now....

 No 10...
And finally...Pippi!
The girl I'd like to have been...although some would say there's not much difference...



No Hans Christian Andersen, No Grimms Fairy Tales?
Oh, believe me, there are so many books that appeal to me and remind me of my childhood, even a list double this length wouldn't get all my faves in...

No comments:

Post a Comment